Monday, April 09, 2012

Detroit Rock and Roll in 1969





The Rock and Roll Band that changed everything for me was called SRC (The Scott Richard Case). I was 14 years old and I saw SRC at a small Catholic school auditorium with about 100 other kids. It was not the first time I had saw a rock band play.....BUT it was the first time I saw real rock and roll played by great musicians. In Kieth Richards biography he talks about hearing Chuck Berry for the first time and how it changed his life.....hearing music that reached down and touched his heart. Never had music done that to him before and that day he knew what he wanted to do for the rest of his life! There are not many things that I can remember from when I was that young, but I can remember that night like it was yesterday. Seeing Scott Richards ( the lead singer) in front of that great band was just like seeing The Beatles or The Rolling Stones in a small club for a young English kid......SRC never were anywhere close to having that kind of success, but it wasn't because they weren't as good (THEY WERE)....it has to with management, timing and all the other things that make a great band huge. And it sure doesn't change how they effectrd me, when I saw them play that first time. I feel so lucky to have grown up in the Detroit area in the late 60's and seeing The MC5, The Stooges, Bob Seger, Mich Ryder and Detroit, and Alice Copper by the time I was 16 years old. Talk about timing!!!! Never again will there be a Rock Music Scene like there was here in Detroit in 1969!!!

1 comment:

Retro Kimmer said...

hey Jarvy! loved your story and shared it with the SRC band and my readers.... you can see the story here...http://www.retrokimmer.com/2012/06/src-reunion-tomorrowsusan-whithall.html stop by my blog anytime! We have lot's in common... x Retrokimmer